Faculty Professional Development
A major initiative of the WorkForceWV GREEN-UP Project is to green up West Virginia’s postsecondary faculty and staff who currently teach or would like to teach green technical skills courses. This green capacity building effort has two components:
- If you are a faculty member or potential faculty member interested in participating in energy auditing professional development that could lead to a Building Performance Institute building analyst certification, please provide us with your contact information.
- If you are a faculty member or potential faculty member interested in participating in solar photovoltaic professional development that could lead to certification through the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), please provide us with your contact information.
- Supported Professional Development. The WorkForceWV GREEN-UP Project also is supporting green faculty professional development to assist faculty to learn the latest in green technology and green up current curricula.
- Eligibility. Faculty from community and technical colleges, registered apprenticeship programs, career and technical centers, weatherization training centers and other postsecondary education providers are eligible to receive funding to attend green professional development opportunities, including conferences, training sessions, speeches and presentations, and similar activities. The goal is for faculty to use the information learned during these professional development opportunities to provide students with better green skills training and prepare students for green job opportunities.
- Application Process. To apply for funding, complete and submit the WV GREEN-UP Faculty Professional Development Funding Request Form via email to email@example.com or via fax to 866.783.0511. The form requires you to provide information about yourself, the professional development opportunity, and its cost and must be signed by your supervisor or other academic official. (Electronic signatures are acceptable.)
- Approval Process. A committee consisting of one representative each from the West Virginia Community and Technical College System, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Apprenticeship for West Virginia, and the West Virginia Department of Education will review requests in the order received and will reply to each request within two weeks of receiving it. The amount of approved funding shall be the maximum amount available for reimbursement.
- Reimbursement Process. WV GREEN-UP will reimburse the faculty member and/or his or her employer (e.g., if the employer advances funds to cover registration fees, reservations, etc. or reimburses the faculty member directly). To receive an employee reimbursement, complete the WV GREEN-UP Faculty Professional Development Employee Reimbursement Form; to receive an employer reimbursement, complete and submit the WV GREEN-UP Faculty Professional Development Employer Reimbursement Form. The form, along with appropriate documentation (e.g., receipts), should be sent to:
West Virginia Community and Technical College System
ATTN: WV GREEN-UP Project Coordinator
1018 Kanawha Boulevard East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
- Professional Development Survey. All faculty who receive funding will be expected to complete a WVGREEN-UP Faculty Professional Development Post-Training Survey approximately six months after the professional development is complete. The survey includes questions about the benefit of the professional development for both the faculty member and students.
- Questions. If you have any questions, please contact Beth Dotson at 304.586.2930 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.